Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Prevention & Control Policy
Holistic Therapies Training Academy
Due to recent government announcement, we are currently, unable to offer any practical in-person training at this time, and can only offer online learning, through our course platform and via zoom video.
Please not, our policy below is valid for when we are able to re-start.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Prevention & Control Policy
Holistic Therapies Training Academy
We have all been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We want to do all we can to prevent the risk of infection for ourselves, our colleagues, our students, and our families.
Our priority is to keep you as safe as possible, so we have implemented a number of changes which we would like to make you aware of.
If any of our staff / tutors feel ill or have symptoms of C0VlD-19, they will self-isolate immediately and not come into the training centre. This may mean that we must cancel your training at short notice. We appreciate that this may be inconvenient, but it is done entirely for your own safety. If your training is cancelled you will be able to re-book again as soon as we are able to, and your rescheduling will be given top priority.
If you or any of the people you live with, or have come into contact with, display any symptoms of C0VlD-19 – please advise us as soon as possible and DO NOT COME TO YOUR TRAINING, as we will be following the track and trace process with the NHS app where you will be asked to download the app and to scan our QR code on entering the building OR, You will be required to complete a covid-19 declaration form prior to visiting us, as well as your model if you are bringing one.
Visiting the training centre HQ / teaching venues
We will no longer be accepting walk in or drop in visitors to the centre. You may only come to the centre by prior appointment, to minimise the number of people in the centre at one time.
For our head office (Bideford, Devon,) if you have coursework to drop off, please only do so after prior arrangement with us.
For your safety and to maintain social distancing, we ask that you attend your training day (s) as close to the allocated start time as possible. Please do not turn up early for training as this may mean that you encounter other colleagues / students who are just leaving. We advise that you wait in your car until your allocated start time.
We have increased the frequency of cleaning in the centre including making sure that common surfaces, toilets, door handles, light switches etc. are wiped clean using disinfectant products between each training session. Treatment couches, trolleys and stools will be wiped, and we advise you to do so too prior to using them for your own piece of mind.
All tools and equipment will be disinfected or sterilised in line with the specific industry guidelines and manufacturers’ instructions for your safety.
Wherever possible we will utilise environmentally, friendly, single use items during a treatment that will be disposed of safely after use to protect you from cross infection.
Bideford Training Centre / HQ
Due to the nature of our businesses at Bideford HQ, we have employed a mandatory temperature check, using an infrared thermometer, upon arrival of all persons entering the centre. This is to safeguard the businesses conducted here, as some of our members and staff are classified as vulnerable under the government guidelines.
You will have access to hand sanitiser to cleanse your hands with as soon as you enter the training centre ( inside the front door on the righthand side) & we have also hand sanitiser stations at the entrance to the main training room & by the door to the toilet. There is hot water and automatic soap dispenser facilities in the toilet, including an automatic hand dryer & paper towels.
Training at our other venues will have their own hand washing / hand sanitiser facilities.
Children are not permitted to come to the centre during training or treatments. Only students and their models can enter the training centre / venue, by prior arrangement only.
For added safety, you will be required to bring your own products / equipment / PPE, to ensure further hygiene & minimising risks of cross-contamination. Below you will find a list of what you will be required to bring to your training, this will also be provided in your training confirmation email. You will be required to wear a mask before entering the premises, and a face visor or goggles, type 2 face mask (*Type II face masks are medical face masks made up of a protective 3-ply construction that prevents large particles from reaching the client or working surfaces.) apron (disposable or wipeable/washable, clean for every client) and disposable gloves are required to be worn throughout the treatment element of the training. It is the student’s responsibility to bring enough PPE for themselves and their model for the duration of their training. Training will not be provided if the student has not brought the correct PPE. (Please check latest government updates.)
Our staff will be using personal protective equipment (PPE) during your visit and during your training. i.e., disposable gloves / masks / visors or goggles / aprons, where appropriate.
We can confirm that the laundering of training towels and uniforms is a priority we can assure you that all salon / training laundry is washed at a minimum of 60 degrees C. However, we will no longer be supplying towels for students to use during their training, you will be required to bring your own towels (bolsters / pillows / couch coverings optional) for increased protection to yourselves, and to minimise our staff handling. Please do not forget your towels as training will not be able to go ahead without them.
All disposable items are bagged and safely removed from the training area between each student.
Our tutors may have their own additional measures, which their students will be informed of prior to attending training with them at their own training venues.
We have carried out a risk assessment on all training and we are confident that we can continue to provide these safely and any training we deem as being too risky to offer at this time, we will be postponing all training of that subject until it is safe to recommence. At present there are no treatments / training that cannot be carried out. However, we are closely following the regulations for each tier system, and the tier system our training centre falls into. It is also important to know that if you are travelling to us for training from a higher tier than us, that you will still have to abide by the tier rules for YOUR area. Here are the government tier details - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-restriction-tiers-what-you-need-to-know
Any questions about this, please email Karen – [email protected]
During your training
Our staff understand the importance of hand hygiene and we will ensure that we wash our hands in accordance with NHS recommendations before the start of your training and an NHS hand washing guide is provided on the wall in our hand washing area located in our washroom at our Bideford centre.
We will try to make your training as safe, comfortable, and enjoyable as possible. If you have any concerns about your training, please let us know and we will do what we can to help. There will be sanitising stations within our training centre.
After the training
To avoid handling of cash, all training must be pre-booked, and any purchases of retail / stock can be made using our contactless card payment system.
Lunchtime / Refreshments
For hygiene purposes, we will not be providing any kitchen facilities to our students and we advise that you bring your own lunch, snacks, and refreshments, where applicable. We will not permit anyone to eat or drink (apart from your own bottled water) in the training room, or kitchen area. We advise that you eat in your car or go out for lunch, or, weather permitting, eat outside on our grassed area, where a seated area is provided.
We also advise you bring your lunch in a cool bag as it may overheat while storing it in your car, as we cannot offer refrigeration for students. Bottled water can be brought into the training centre and training room but must only be handled by yourself. We do sell bottled water and cold drinks if required.
What to bring to your training day (s)
This will also be provided in your training confirmation email, and will be individualised specific to the subject you are learning:
· Sufficient towels to carry out the treatment you are learning (i.e., 3 large towels & 3 small towels) – We will no longer provide towels for students, so please do not forget them, as you will not be able to carry out your training without them.
· Bolsters / additional towels to roll up, pillow / head support (we recommend a further towel to roll up) Please note if using towels for bolsters / pillows you will need to bring these in addition to the 3 large & 3 small towels listed above.
· Products to complete the treatment – i.e., massage oil, hand sanitisers, foot wipes, hygiene foot / hand spray
· PPE – You will need to bring your own PPE, this includes
· * Disposable gloves
* Face masks Type 2 (*Type II face masks are face masks made up of a protective 3-ply construction that prevents large particles from reaching the client or working surfaces.)
* Face visor or goggles (these should be clean or fresh disposable)
* Aprons – disposable or washable (one for each client)
Please ensure you bring enough for the training; you may need several pairs of gloves for example and may need to change your face mask more than once during the day. Each therapy will have its own PPE requirements, so we will confirm this as per government guidelines, in your training confirmation email. i.e., face masks become wet or damp they will need to be changed. Please ensure you read through the government publication on safe working so you know which PPE you will need. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the have brought the correct and sufficient quantities of PPE for their training, and that of their model if applicable. If you are a model for another student, you will be required to wear a face mask/covering during the treatment duration.
· Model – You will need to bring your own model to practice your treatment routine on. We will no longer be able to provide a model for you, and as the majority of our training, for the time being, will be one to one, or small groups, you will need a body to be able to practice on. In some cases, and only if both students are comfortable with this, you may be able to work on each other, if there are 2 students attending the same date. Dates can be rescheduled if you are unable to find a model for a particular day. Any concerns, please speak to us. Your model will need to bring their own PPE as well, i.e., face masks, gloves, or you must bring sufficient PPE for them.
· Lunch / Snacks / Refreshments / Drinks – Please ensure you bring plenty of fluid to keep yourself hydrated, as well as lunch / snacks unless you plan to go out to purchase lunch. Unfortunately, we feel it best to not offer hot drinks or tap water/cold drinks (unless bought), for the time being, to minimise any risks. Please also ensure your model has brought refreshments too, especially bottled water, as they will need to rehydrate after treatment. Please also ensure you bring your lunch in a suitable container, i.e., cool bag, and please do not bring this into the training centre. There are coffee shops within a short drive of our Bideford centre, for those in need of caffeine 😉 or we do sell refrigerated bottled water and cold drinks if required.
· Couch roll if you wish to use it. We will not be able to provide.
· We advise that you wear clean uniform to your training, i.e., fresh clothing each day as per the industry guidelines for therapists and your style of therapy.
For example, beauty / massage = tunic; trousers; enclosed low-heeled shoes; Hair tied back. For sports therapy training = suitable sports style therapy uniform with trainers.
A list of what you need to bring will also be emailed in your training confirmation.
PLEASE ONLY BRING INTO THE CENTRE WHAT IS NEEDED FOR YOUR TRAINING, LEAVE ALL PERSONAL BELONGINGS/LUNCH ETC SAFELY LOCKED IN YOUR CAR.
All these procedures have been implemented for your safety and that of our staff. We will continue to take advice from the Government and the NHS regarding safe practice and will amend them, as necessary.
Here are a few more ways to minimise risk in our ‘new normal’ working environment.
· To minimise contact time with your tutor, as advised in the government guidelines provided, we require ALL students to have completed their online learning, from our course platform, BEFORE, attending practical training.
· In addition to this, we are working hard to compile demonstration videos of the routines for the student to watch prior to attending the training.
· We will be providing a tick list of what you need to bring for the training.
· You will also be required to scan our QR code for NHS track and trace (as from 24th September) on arrival OR, sign a Covid-19 declaration, stating you do not have any symptoms of Covid-19, or have not experienced any or come into contact with anyone showing symptoms within the past 14 days, and you agree to inform us as soon as you do experience symptoms prior to your training.
· For VTCT students, we are now using E-portfolio systems ONLY. We will provide you with a zoom call, if required, to talk you through how to do this, and how to transfer any work you may have done on paper, into electronic format, so you do not have to re-do anything already completed. Workbooks and case studies can still be completed on paper, but we will show you how to transfer this onto your own personal electronic folder on google drive. (Google drive can be downloaded to your phone as an app to help with transferring work and is free of charge for a certain amount of storage.)
The governments latest guidelines are provided here (correct as of 05/11/20) – https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5ef2889986650c12970e9b57/working-safely-during-covid-19-close-contact-041120.pdf
It is the students responsibility to keep up to date with any new publications and updates from the government.
It is and has been scary times for us all, so we aim to keep everyone as safe as we possibly can 😊 Aside from all of these procedures, we will continue to keep your training as relaxed as possible (with PPE on) and fun & enjoyable as ever. We will still maintain our friendly and fun learning environment for you, even if we will look like someone from planet Mars 😉
Please understand our procedures are there to help and protect us all in these troubled times, and to prevent further outbreaks and interruptions to all of our businesses; and are in line with government & industry requirements.
Thank you for your understanding.
The Team @
Holistic Therapies Training Academy
It is the students therapists responsibility to keep up to date with the current government covid-19 restrictions -